Feathernest and I got off to a rocky start. I thought I was being sooo smart with the neckline (which should always set off warning lights) – I cast on fewer stitches based on my gauge since I wanted a smaller neckline than what’s shown in the pattern photo. I then promptly cast on for ribbing in 2 sizes smaller than my swatch and ended up with a turtleneck tight collar. I don’t really know why I thought I had to cast on less when I’m using DK and the pattern calls for worsted…After many false starts, I ended up casting on for the exact number stated in the pattern. Loud sigh.
Once I got past that hurdle though, I cared less about gauge. Since this is a top down raglan, I just kept trying this on at every stage. Like after I was sure the collar had to be working:
And when I was trying to figure out how many increases to do for the shoulders:
And making sure my arms could fit through the arm holes:
I am in LOVE with top down construction. I understood the appeal but this is my first sweater that I’ve knit myself from the top down and I am SOLD. It’s just so easy to alter the pattern to match my measurements with little effort! My shoulders aren’t that wide, so I had to stop increasing a little earlier than the pattern. And then I have a really long waist (as in, I’m a short girl but I am taaaalll when sitting) so trying the sweater on to get the waist shaping right was a game changer. I forgot to take pictures of that though so, instead, here’s a picture of my lazy Sunday knitting with my familiar, Franklin:
I’m already much further than that picture though. I only have 2-3 more inches before the ribbing and then it’s sleeve city!!
In other news, I have finished Season 1 of Veronica Mars and am on to Season 2. I feel very accomplished from just straight up lazy bones TV watching. Helps that I have sweater progress to show for it!